Tuesday, May 25, 2010

World No Tobacco Day, May 31 2010: women as target of the tobacco industry

Chic-eng-wntd-2010
 The World Health Organization has chosen to focus the communication for this WNTD about the marketing of tobacco products to women. Read the press release and see all the posters.


The World Health Organization (WHO) selects "Gender and tobacco with an emphasis on marketing to women" as the theme for the next World No Tobacco Day, which will take place on 31 May 2010.
World No Tobacco Day 2010 Posters 
More information
Controlling the epidemic of tobacco among women is an important part of any comprehensive tobacco control strategy. World No Tobacco Day 2010 will be designed to draw particular attention to the harmful effects of tobacco marketing towards women and girls. It will also highlight the need for the nearly 170 Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control to ban all tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship in accordance with their constitutions or constitutional principles.
Women comprise about 20% of the world's more than 1 billion smokers. However, the epidemic of tobacco use among women is increasing in some countries. Women are a major target of opportunity for the tobacco industry, which needs to recruit new users to replace the nearly half of current users who will die prematurely from tobacco-related diseases.
Especially troubling is the rising prevalence of tobacco use among girls. The new WHO report, Women and health: today's evidence, tomorrow's agenda, points to evidence that tobacco advertising increasingly targets girls. Data from 151 countries show that about 7% of adolescent girls smoke cigarettes as opposed to 12% of adolescent boys. In some countries, almost as many girls smoke as boys.
World No Tobacco Day 2010 will give overdue recognition to the importance of controlling the epidemic of tobacco among women. As WHO Director-General Margaret Chan wrote in the aforementioned report, "protecting and promoting the health of women is crucial to health and development – not only for the citizens of today but also for those of future generations".
The WHO Framework Convention, which took effect in 2005, expresses alarm at "the increase in smoking and other forms of tobacco consumption by women and young girls worldwide".
Although the World No Tobacco Day 2010 campaign will focus on tobacco marketing to women, it will also take into account the need to protect boys and men from the tobacco companies' tactics. As WHO said in its 2007 report, Gender and tobacco control: a policy brief, "Generic tobacco control measures may not be equally or similarly effective in respect to the two sexes…[A] gendered perspective must be included…It is therefore important that tobacco control policies recognize and take into account gender norms, differences and responses to tobacco in order to…reduce tobacco use and improve the health of men and women worldwide".
In another 2007 report, Sifting the evidence: gender and tobacco control, WHO commented, "Both men and women need full information about the sex-specific effects of tobacco use…equal protection from gendered advertising and marketing and the development of sex-specific tobacco products by transnational tobacco companies…[and] gender-sensitive information about, and protection from, second-hand smoke and occupational exposure to tobacco or nicotine".
The WHO Framework Convention recognizes "the need for gender-specific tobacco control strategies", as well as for the "full participation of women at all levels of [tobacco control] policy-making and implementation [of tobacco control measures]".
On World No Tobacco Day 2010, and throughout the following year, WHO will encourage governments to pay particular attention to protecting women from the tobacco companies' attempts to lure them into lifetimes of nicotine dependence. By responding to WHO's call, governments can reduce the toll of fatal and crippling heart attacks, strokes, cancers and respiratory diseases that have become increasingly prevalent among women.
Tobacco use could kill one billion people during this century. Recognizing the importance of reducing tobacco use among women, and acting upon that recognition, would save many lives.
Register your World No Tobacco Day 2010 event 
Previous World No Tobacco Days

3 comments:

  1. HOW I FINALLY GOT PREGNANT AFTER 10 YEARS OF MARRIAGE WITH THE HELP OF DR PERFECT WHATSAPP HIM +(1) 256-251-3614

    Hello everyone I'm Mary Barthe from New Brunswick Canada am so very happy to share my wonderful testimony of how I got pregnant, I couldn't believe I would one day get pregnant because I was having problem with my womb which makes me unable to give birth but with the help of Dr Perfect the impossible became possible, I have been married for 10 years now I couldn't give birth to a child, whenever me and my husband go out we will see parents playing with their kids, this made me sad because I and my husband want to have children of our own, because of that my husband started drinking alcohol and he comes home late at night and he didn't care about me anymore that started to bother me, two weeks ago he told me he want a divorce this broke my heart completely I cried for many days until I came across Dr Perfect email when I was searching for infertility treatment and I emailed him and explained my situation to him and he instructed me on what to do and i did and he cast a spell for me, few weeks later I felt ill so I went to see a doctor and she did some tests and told me I was 1 weeks pregnant I was so happy when I got home I told my husband about it and he doubted it and I showed him the result he jumped with joy and he apologize for the way he was acting the last few weeks. If you have been married and haven't given birth or you have other problems email Dr Perfect at

    solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com

    you can also WhatsApp him +(1) 256-251-3614




    HOW I FINALLY GOT PREGNANT AFTER 10 YEARS OF MARRIAGE WITH THE HELP OF DR PERFECT WHATSAPP HIM +(1) 256-251-3614

    Hello everyone I'm Mary Barthe from New Brunswick Canada am so very happy to share my wonderful testimony of how I got pregnant, I couldn't believe I would one day get pregnant because I was having problem with my womb which makes me unable to give birth but with the help of Dr Perfect the impossible became possible, I have been married for 10 years now I couldn't give birth to a child, whenever me and my husband go out we will see parents playing with their kids, this made me sad because I and my husband want to have children of our own, because of that my husband started drinking alcohol and he comes home late at night and he didn't care about me anymore that started to bother me, two weeks ago he told me he want a divorce this broke my heart completely I cried for many days until I came across Dr Perfect email when I was searching for infertility treatment and I emailed him and explained my situation to him and he instructed me on what to do and i did and he cast a spell for me, few weeks later I felt ill so I went to see a doctor and she did some tests and told me I was 1 weeks pregnant I was so happy when I got home I told my husband about it and he doubted it and I showed him the result he jumped with joy and he apologize for the way he was acting the last few weeks. If you have been married and haven't given birth or you have other problems email Dr Perfect at

    solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com

    you can also WhatsApp him +(1) 256-251-3614

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I WON 708.7 MILLION US DOLLARS WITH THE HELP OF A GREAT SPELL CASTER DR PETER CALL/WHATSAPP +1(321)754-0649



    ZACHARY LOUIS JOE
    MY TESTIMONY :
    Good day everybody, This is my testimony on how i won 708.7 million dollars on power ball lottery. I want to use this opportunity to thank Dr PETER, for casting a winning spell for me to win the lottery of 708.7 million dollars, lottery ticket. I have been playing lotteries for the past 5 years now and i have never won any. Ever since then i have not been able to win any lotto and i was so upset and i needed help to win this power ball lottery. so i decided to go online and search for help, there i saw so many good testimony about this man called Dr PETER, of how he has cast lucky spell lotto for people to win lotteries. I contacted him also and told him i want to win the power ball lottery, he cast a spell for me which i use to play and won 708.7 million dollars in power ball lottery. I am so grateful to this man, just in-case you also need his help, you can contact him through his Email: MAGNIFICENTSPELLCAST@GMAIL.COM OR MAGNIFICENTSPELLCAST@YAHOO.COM OR WHATS-APP HIM ON THIS NUMBER +1(321)754-0649 HERE IS HIS WEBSITE http://MAGNIFICENTSPELLCAST.WEBSIT2.ME

    and he will surely help you just the way he has helped me. i will forever be grateful to him and always testify the good work of him to the whole world.SO CONTACT HIM TODAY and he will surely help you to win any kind of lottery Best ZACHARY LOUIS JOE ,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS

    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete