Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Heather Crowe: I am dying of lung cancer from secondhand smoke (2002)

Heatherposter_eHeather died in Ottawa on May 21, 2006. She had lung cancer because of her exposure to secondhand smoke as a waitress. Watch on of her famous clips.
 Thank you so much Heather for your courage, your persistence, your commitment.
The Heather Crowe Campaign site.




Anti-smoking crusader Heather Crowe dies at 61
Last Updated Tue, 23 May 2006
CBC News:  Heather Crowe, the long-time waitress who contracted lung cancer from second-hand smoke and waged an anti-smoking campaign, has died at the age of 61.
Heather Crowe, who never smoked, contracted lung cancer after working for 40 years in bars and restaurants. She never smoked, but she was widely known for her television campaign in which she tells how she contracted cancer at the restaurant where she worked for 40 years.
She was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2002. She fought the disease into remission with chemotherapy, radiation and steroids, but ultimately lost the battle four years later.
Crowe was the first person to win a claim with the Ontario Workers Safety and Insurance Board for full compensation because her cancer was caused by occupational exposure to cigarette smoke.
"If I'd lost my hand at work they'd have paid me," she once said of the compensation award. "So if they're going to take chunks out of my lungs, why wouldn't I be entitled [to benefits]?"

Crowe's passing came one week before the Smoke Free Ontario Act took effect. The legislation bans smoking in any enclosed public places and restricts the promotion, handling and display of cigarettes in stores.

Jim Watson, the Liberal MPP for Ottawa-West-Nepean, was a frequent customer at the restaurant where Crowe worked. He called her the "matriarch of the anti-smoking movement."

"It's very sad that she's not going to be here to see [the legislation take effect], but she should be very happy that because of her influence, Ontarians will be able to breathe easier as a result of the legislation on May 31," Watson told Canadian Press.

Crowe was an unlikely activist. "She fell into this anti-smoking passion because she experienced first-hand what so many people have suffered over the years," he said.
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty presented Crowe with an award named in her honour last December. The Heather Crowe Award will recognize the efforts of individuals and organizations in promoting a smoke-free Ontario.


********************************


FROM OCT. 10, 2002: Server with cancer focus of new anti-smoking ads 
Last Updated Thu, 10 Oct 2002 CBC News, OTTAWA - An Ottawa server is believed to be the first hospitality worker in Canada to receive workers' compensation in connection with second-hand smoke. Heather Crowe has lung cancer but is a non-smoker.

Crowe is also appearing in new anti-smoking ads created by Health Canada. The ads are supposed to be harder hitting than previous campaigns.

The ads are expected to focus on second-hand smoke and on the role of tobacco companies in keeping smokers addicted.

Crowe, 57, is a non-smoker. She worked for 40 years in Ottawa bars and restaurants. Her doctor says she contracted the disease from exposure to second-hand smoke.

"My cancer is a smoker's tumour and I've never smoked a day in my life," Crowe told CBC News.

The former server is expected to be compensated for loss of earnings and money to cover her medical and living expenses.

Crowe was forced to stop working last summer after doctors said her cancer was inoperable. She has been told she has six months to three years to live.

"When you're done with your chemotherapy and (you're) on your knees at the toilet...this is when I made my decision I can never let this happen to someone else."

The ad featuring Crowe will begin airing on Oct. 14. In it, Crowe says "I never smoked a day in my life. The air was blue where I worked."

Anti-tobacco groups applaud the new intitiative. A coalition of health groups wrote a public letter to the health minister in August urging for a tougher campaign.

The anti-smoking groups said the current ads had little or no effect. They say a strategy called "tobacco-industry denormalization" used by California and Massachusetts was best because it focused on the industry's behaviour.

Ads that use this strategy are especially effective on teenagers because they depict smoking as a form of submission to the tobacco industry and not an act of rebellion.

"This is an industry that has lied about all aspects of its business and yet has managed to put responsibility for the epidemic on individual behaviour," says Mahood.

Mahood's group was key in getting graphic warning labels put on cigarette packages.

More than 45,000 Canadians die every year from smoking-related illnesses.

"When you look at the source of the epidemic, which is the tobacco industry, you get people to tune in," says Steve Marchat of the Canadian Cancer Society.

7 comments:

  1. HOW I FINALLY GOT PREGNANT AFTER 10 YEARS OF MARRIAGE WITH THE HELP OF DR PERFECT WHATSAPP HIM +(1) 256-251-3614

    Hello everyone I'm Mary Barthe from New Brunswick Canada am so very happy to share my wonderful testimony of how I got pregnant, I couldn't believe I would one day get pregnant because I was having problem with my womb which makes me unable to give birth but with the help of Dr Perfect the impossible became possible, I have been married for 10 years now I couldn't give birth to a child, whenever me and my husband go out we will see parents playing with their kids, this made me sad because I and my husband want to have children of our own, because of that my husband started drinking alcohol and he comes home late at night and he didn't care about me anymore that started to bother me, two weeks ago he told me he want a divorce this broke my heart completely I cried for many days until I came across Dr Perfect email when I was searching for infertility treatment and I emailed him and explained my situation to him and he instructed me on what to do and i did and he cast a spell for me, few weeks later I felt ill so I went to see a doctor and she did some tests and told me I was 1 weeks pregnant I was so happy when I got home I told my husband about it and he doubted it and I showed him the result he jumped with joy and he apologize for the way he was acting the last few weeks. If you have been married and haven't given birth or you have other problems email Dr Perfect at

    solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com

    you can also WhatsApp him +(1) 256-251-3614




    HOW I FINALLY GOT PREGNANT AFTER 10 YEARS OF MARRIAGE WITH THE HELP OF DR PERFECT WHATSAPP HIM +(1) 256-251-3614

    Hello everyone I'm Mary Barthe from New Brunswick Canada am so very happy to share my wonderful testimony of how I got pregnant, I couldn't believe I would one day get pregnant because I was having problem with my womb which makes me unable to give birth but with the help of Dr Perfect the impossible became possible, I have been married for 10 years now I couldn't give birth to a child, whenever me and my husband go out we will see parents playing with their kids, this made me sad because I and my husband want to have children of our own, because of that my husband started drinking alcohol and he comes home late at night and he didn't care about me anymore that started to bother me, two weeks ago he told me he want a divorce this broke my heart completely I cried for many days until I came across Dr Perfect email when I was searching for infertility treatment and I emailed him and explained my situation to him and he instructed me on what to do and i did and he cast a spell for me, few weeks later I felt ill so I went to see a doctor and she did some tests and told me I was 1 weeks pregnant I was so happy when I got home I told my husband about it and he doubted it and I showed him the result he jumped with joy and he apologize for the way he was acting the last few weeks. If you have been married and haven't given birth or you have other problems email Dr Perfect at

    solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com

    you can also WhatsApp him +(1) 256-251-3614

    ReplyDelete



  2. Hello i'm Pamela Talbert am giving a testimony about Dr.Oduku the great herbal doctor, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my herpes simplex virus, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the herpes simplex virus cure why are people still suffering from it?' I thought of it, then I contact Dr.Oduku email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it through Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 week's after finishing the medicine, I was tested herpes simplex virus negative, if you are herpes simplex virus patient do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you..my email address (ptalbert06@gmail.com) odukuherbalremedies@gmail.com him for directives and all your health problem will be solve for a better life.stay bless my friends. you can still search the Google to know more of his product!!https://naturalherbalremedyblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks https://asbestoscancer.org/stage-two-mesothelioma/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man DR Afrid and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to DR Afrid telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the DR assured me that i have cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email DR Afrid on drafridherbalhome@gmail.com sir i am indeed grateful for the help i will forever recommend you to my friends!!! with your lovely Email Address drafridherbalhome@gmail.com or you can also whatsapp him on this number +2349057260738, website..https://drafridherbalhome.webs.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am so happy to share this testimony thank you Dr Oduku i never believed i will be herpes negative again despite all i passed through Dr Oduku you are truly sent by God and you can also place your order for Dr Oduku roots and herbs medicine email odukuherbalremediess@gmail.com or what-app number +2347067706774.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS

    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm Thomas Yi from the United States. I started playing lottery games 3 years ago and I have never won big. I went online to seek help on how I can win big in my lottery games and I saw some nice reviews about Dr Amber who has made different people huge winners in their lottery games with his prayers. I gave it a try and I contacted Dr Amber who told me how and what to do before I can become a big lotto winner and I accepted. He made special prayers for me at his temple and gave me the required numbers to play the lotto game and when I played it, I won a massive $235.4 million POWERBALL jackpot. I was so happy and I chose to receive my winnings in a one-time, lump-sum payment of $160,038,447.27 at Florida Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee and the balance was given to the store that I bought & played the game from. I would love other people to seek help from him and he can be contacted through WhatsApp/call/text via this number +1 (406) 646-2222 or email on: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete