Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pam Laffin: I can't breathe (1999)

PamPam Laffin's story. Here is one TV spot. Pam died on october 31, 2000.
An interview (pdf format)
The campaign explained by Greg Connolly (Massachusetts Department of Health). 


Laffin began smoking at age 10 in the basement of her childhood home near Boston. "Did you ever see the movie Grease?" she once asked an interviewer. "I made my mother take me to get a perm so I could have curly hair like Sandy's. It seemed like most of the people in her new school didn't accept her, and she started smoking and then she was friends with everybody. So I thought maybe, if I smoked, I could be like her."
When she was 21, Laffin developed chronic bronchitis. She came down with the condition four times that year, and began to suffer from bronchial asthma as well. When she was 23, Laffin was diagnosed with chronic asthma; the following year, with emphysema. If she continued to smoke, Laffin's physician told her, she'd be dead before she was 30. "When I'm 30," she remembered thinking, "my older daughter will be 13. That's about the time kids need their parents the most. I made the decision that I wouldn't smoke anymore."
Laffin did quit. Unfortunately, it was too late. She underwent a lung transplant a year later, but her body rejected the donor organ. Too frail to withstand another surgery right away, she underwent pulmonary rehab and hoped she'd get well enough to make the waiting list for another lung.
During this period Laffin was in constant pain and dependent on family members for her care. Simply breathing was backbreaking, exhausting work. This might be about the time that some people would throw in the towel. Pam Laffin decided to use the time she had left to warn every kid she could to not make the mistake she'd made. Despite being confined to a wheelchair and suffering relentlessly, Laffin embarked on an anti-smoking crusade that proved nothing short of heroic.
Over the next few years she traveled throughout Massachusetts and to several other states. She told her story at schools, visited youth organizations and spoke to addicts trying to quit. She talked bluntly about what smoking had done to her life, and asked the young people in her audiences to consider what it could do to theirs.
Laffin found the largest audience of her life when the Massachusetts Department of Public Health recruited her for a series of TV commercials in the mid-'90s. In these spots she displayed her trademark naked honesty. She allowed a crew to film her bronchoscopy. She revealed the scars that surgery had left across her back. She looked into the camera and spoke about the ways in which her body had been deformed, how emphysema had left her with "a fat face" and "a lump on my neck." Laffin also displayed a sense of humor. At the close of one spot she noted ironically, "I started smoking to look older. I'm sorry to say, it worked."
The ads had an immediate impact. The number of calls into the state's "try to stop" hotline skyrocketed, many of them from young people. MTV and PBS both made documentaries about Laffin's life and message. She appeared on national programs such as "Good Morning America." Laffin became the country's most prominent and influential anti-smoking activist. Ultimately the U.S. Centers for Disease Control caught on and produced a 20-minute educational video chronicling her experience. "I Can't Breathe" was designed to spark classroom discussion among 11- to 14-year-olds concerning the perils of smoking.
The spots in which Pam Laffin appears today incorporate footage from the television PSAs and the CDC video. This explains why Krystell speaks about her as though she were still alive. Laffin reportedly had particularly strong emotions about her daughter's part in the campaign. She told a reporter at the time, "What I've been doing for the past four years or so has been aimed at kids. And this is aimed at adults. Look at my daughter who I hurt deeply... Maybe a mother can look at my life and say, 'This could be me. This could be my child.'"
Laffin died on October 31, 2000, at the age of 31 -- just three weeks before a scheduled second lung transplant. She has been honored by numerous organizations, including the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, which posthumously gave her its "Champion Award." Laffin went far in that wheelchair.
A website provided on the current ads in turn offers a link to the CDC's site, where viewers can learn more about Pam Laffin and order a copy of "I Can't Breathe." Except you can't -- get the video, that is; the title is "Currently Not Available for Order." Once again, something didn't seem quite right, so I emailed the CDC asking why the video isn't available. Here in part is the response I received: "Thank you for your interest in our products. The video 'I Can't Breathe' was a very popular item and is out of stock. We do not know at this time if [we] will receive additional copies of this item in 2005...

8 comments:

  1. HOW I FINALLY GOT PREGNANT AFTER 10 YEARS OF MARRIAGE WITH THE HELP OF DR PERFECT WHATSAPP HIM +(1) 256-251-3614

    Hello everyone I'm Mary Barthe from New Brunswick Canada am so very happy to share my wonderful testimony of how I got pregnant, I couldn't believe I would one day get pregnant because I was having problem with my womb which makes me unable to give birth but with the help of Dr Perfect the impossible became possible, I have been married for 10 years now I couldn't give birth to a child, whenever me and my husband go out we will see parents playing with their kids, this made me sad because I and my husband want to have children of our own, because of that my husband started drinking alcohol and he comes home late at night and he didn't care about me anymore that started to bother me, two weeks ago he told me he want a divorce this broke my heart completely I cried for many days until I came across Dr Perfect email when I was searching for infertility treatment and I emailed him and explained my situation to him and he instructed me on what to do and i did and he cast a spell for me, few weeks later I felt ill so I went to see a doctor and she did some tests and told me I was 1 weeks pregnant I was so happy when I got home I told my husband about it and he doubted it and I showed him the result he jumped with joy and he apologize for the way he was acting the last few weeks. If you have been married and haven't given birth or you have other problems email Dr Perfect at

    solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com

    you can also WhatsApp him +(1) 256-251-3614




    HOW I FINALLY GOT PREGNANT AFTER 10 YEARS OF MARRIAGE WITH THE HELP OF DR PERFECT WHATSAPP HIM +(1) 256-251-3614

    Hello everyone I'm Mary Barthe from New Brunswick Canada am so very happy to share my wonderful testimony of how I got pregnant, I couldn't believe I would one day get pregnant because I was having problem with my womb which makes me unable to give birth but with the help of Dr Perfect the impossible became possible, I have been married for 10 years now I couldn't give birth to a child, whenever me and my husband go out we will see parents playing with their kids, this made me sad because I and my husband want to have children of our own, because of that my husband started drinking alcohol and he comes home late at night and he didn't care about me anymore that started to bother me, two weeks ago he told me he want a divorce this broke my heart completely I cried for many days until I came across Dr Perfect email when I was searching for infertility treatment and I emailed him and explained my situation to him and he instructed me on what to do and i did and he cast a spell for me, few weeks later I felt ill so I went to see a doctor and she did some tests and told me I was 1 weeks pregnant I was so happy when I got home I told my husband about it and he doubted it and I showed him the result he jumped with joy and he apologize for the way he was acting the last few weeks. If you have been married and haven't given birth or you have other problems email Dr Perfect at

    solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com

    you can also WhatsApp him +(1) 256-251-3614

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I'm From Memphis Tennessee, USA I feel so joyful today because of the help Dr  Sunny has rendered to me for  getting my Husband back with his spell. I have been married for 4 years and it has been so terrible because my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i came across Dr Sunny Email, on the internet posted by a lady, i decided to get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr Sunny is truly a real spell caster. Why not contact Dr Sunny now if you are facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email solutioncentre911@gmail.com Also specialize i1) love Spell
    2) Spells divorce
    3) Spells of marriage
    4.) pregnancy problems
    contact this great man if you have a problem for a lasting solution Through Email: solutioncentre911@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy to pass this to everyone that is sicking from any kind of disease that the solution to all diseases and sickness have arrive, i was just cured by Dr idahosa the great healer after i have been passing through stress all day and night. i never know i was going to be cured of this HIV sickness in my life cause they said there is no cure, i am proving all those that said that there is no cure wrong cause i have just been cured with herbal medicine of Dr idahosa the great healer, i cant talk cause my heart is full of excitement and i am using this medium of my testimony to inform you all to contact this man for any kind of sickness and he is ready to help you solve your problem. please if you are out there passing through any sickness kindly contact him here through his email address:{ dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com } whatssap number +2348134261542,  he  is waiting for you. once more i say a very big thank you for what you have done for me, i will keep my promise to keep sharing testimony about what God have use you to do in my life.
    Dr Idahosa also cure listed diseases:

    1, Night sweats
    2, Lesions on your tongue or mouth
    3, Weight loss
    4, Frequent fever
    5, Persistent Diarrhea
    6, Skin rashes
    7, Tiredness
    8, Swollen lymph glands
    9, Pneumonia
    10, Memory loss
    11, Depression
    12, Swelling of the lymph glands
    13, Red, brown, pink spots on the skin, mouth, nose, or eyelids
    14, Sores of the mouth, anus, or genitals
    15' HIV/AIDS
    16' Herpes virus
    17, Penis Enlargement
    18, Hepatitis AB and C
    19, Diabetes
    20, Ulcer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr Osasu on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr Osasu today on this Email address: drosasu25@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2347064365391
    ….
    Dr.Osasu also cures:
    1. HIV / AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B

    ReplyDelete
  5. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    I thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because life
    became meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, the
    symptoms became very severe and bold and made my family
    run from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gave
    up everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because the
    doctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs but
    they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me making
    it worse. I was doing some research online someday when I
    came across testimonies of some people of how DR Ebhota
    cured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thought
    it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details
    provided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent me
    his herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after two
    weeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptoms
    disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was
    NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DR
    Ebhota because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep on
    telling the world about you. If you are going through same
    situation worry no more and contact DR Ebhota via
    drebhotasolution@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348089535482.
    he also special on cureing 1. HIV/AIDS2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4.
    ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6.DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE(HPV)8. 
    ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or LupusErythematosus 

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW DR. UNEME brought back my ex lover unemespellben@gmail.com
    Am DONNA, am from UK. After been in a relationship with my Boyfriend for 1 year now and we were planning to get married soon and all of a sudden he left me for another girl. of a truth, I really love this guy and never can I imagine life without him. I further tried all my best to get him back but all my effort to get him back in my life did not work out. It was on this faithful day, I came across some Testimonies on a website about this great spell caster called (Dr. UNEME) any persons claimed that he help them to renew their relationship and bring their ex lover back, I had to contact him because he was my last hope. I contacted him through his email and he assured me that in three days time my boyfriend is going to leave the other girl and come back to me and it was a very great surprise to see my boyfriend coming back to me after three days the spell was done. I am so very happy today that he came back to me and i achieved this with the help of Dr UNEME I equally want to use this opportunity to Tell/Advice to as many who need their ex back, if you need his help you can Contact him through
    EMAIL: unemespellben@gmail.com WHATSAPP HIM @ +2348143813120


    Thank You Once Again Dr.UNEME

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless DR ANUGE for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2010 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr ANUGE , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email dranuge@gmail.com once again thanks to you Dr ANUGE. cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp +2348164866838
    He also told me that he can cure the following diseases:
    cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV/AIDS cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    prostate enlargement
    Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete
  8. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS

    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete